You know that dark and spooky area under your home that you never like to go to? For most home owners, the basement is relegated to a lifetime of emptiness and clutter. Well now is the best time to make good use of your basement! Consider some of these great options for turning your unused space into a space that is perfect just for you.
- Home Office. More and more people are working from home these days, whether they set up their small businesses or just need a place to do the bills. Unfortunately, the dining room table just isn’t the right place to conduct business. Consider fitting out your basement with an office that uses built-in shelves and has plenty of room for a true office desk.
- Guest Quarters. Do you like having visitors over every weekend but always have to kick them out at the end of the evening? Make your home even more accommodating by adding an additional bedroom and bathroom in your basement to make sure your guests feel nice and welcomed.
- Play Area. If your main levels are dedicated for the adults of the home, make sure the basement is an excellent place for all the little kiddies to hang out. Offer a place for your kids to play with their friends while staying out of your hair. Add lots of little niches, crawling spaces, climbing walls and lots of colors! Don’t forget to use eggshell paint, its easiest to clean.
- Hobby Room. Maybe you are the little kid in the house with all of your model cars and trains scattered all over the living room. Or maybe the laundry room has been taken over by all of your fabric and sewing materials. Makeover your basement to add a room dedicated to your hobbies with plenty of organization strategies to keep all of the hobbies in order.
- Wine Cellar. Now here’s a great idea for the vino in all of us. Line the entire basement with open wine racks, add a small refrigerator for incidentals, and don’t forget a cabinet for the wine glasses. For those with a little more passion for the grapes, add an enclosed wine room for some extra flare. Then, add a sitting area with comfortable lounge sofas that invite guests to relax.
- Relaxation Station. Why bother to go to the spa when you have one in your very own home? Turn your basement into a steam room or sauna. Include all the elements of peaceful meditation and create a beautiful retreat that is just a few steps away (literally!)
- Theatre. The ultimate addition to any man cave has to be a large projection screen with a full 7.1 surround sound system. Don’t forget to add plenty of sound-proofing insulation in the walls to leave the rest of the house in peace and quiet when you decide to turn the volume all the way up.
- Arcade. For kids of all ages, make your basement the true neighborhood hang out spot by including a pool table, pinball machines, ping pong tables, air hockey tables and other fun games to excite the competitive nature in all of us.
With some basements reaching upwards of 2,000 square feet, don’t let that ample space go to waste! Make sure to give Elite Home Remodeling a call today to find out how we can remodel and finish the basement of your dreams.
Contrary to popular belief, you don’t need loads of cash to remodel or renovate your house. There are plenty of projects that Elite Home Remodeling can do for you without breaking the bank.
A great way to update a boring laundry room or mud room is to add a built-in bench, some new shelves or some beadboard paneling. These great additions will not only provide plenty of organizational and storage space, but you will get plenty of new design elements out of a once boring room.
In the kitchen, upper cabinets are a great way to increase the amount of storage space. Having taller upper cabinets allows you to not only store more things in your kitchen, but it will also make your room look taller which in turn gives your kitchen more value. Another great tip for your kitchen remodeling project is to refinish or reface your existing cabinets. This is a small fix that can make your kitchen look brand new. Plus, doing something as simple as changing the cabinet door hardware can give your kitchen a new style.
If you are looking to do some work in your dining room, a great and less expensive way to improve the look of the room is to add some chair railing and wainscoting. Keep the profiles of these trim features low and you will be surprised at just how affordable they really are.
Sometimes staying flexible is the secret to renovation success. No matter what room you are looking to remodel, always be on the lookout for discounted materials and fixtures at specialty stores. This is a great way to keep the overall cost of your projects down. Even ask your contractor if they have any leftover materials from previous jobs that they can use on your job.
Just because you are on a budget, does not mean you have to sacrifice style and elegance in your new renovations. Keep searching for unique and creative solutions and you can have a great looking home. Be sure to call Elite Home Remodeling to find out how we can serve you today!
Image courtesy of Houzz
Do you have an extra room in your house that you use only as a guest room? Does it only ever get used when you have guests come over? If this is the case, you might benefit from having a Murphy bed! What is a Murphy bed? A Murphy bed, or better known as a wall beds, is a bed and bed frame that can fold up into a cabinet or wall. Recent trade and home shows have showcased new styles, new features, new configurations, new easier open-close mechanisms and new lighting and entertainment built-ins for this category. Murphy beds make a great addition to a guest room because they allow to use the room for many other features throughout the year for all those times you don’t have guests over.
Image courtesy of Houzz
These are just a few simple solutions to helping you with your organizational and storage problems. Take a look at the messiest areas in your home to figure out where you need the most help. Once you’ve nailed that down, you can start creating an action plan to get your space neat and organized.
Give Elite Home Remodeling a call today to find out how we can help you with your cabinet, storage and organizational problems in Reston and throughout all of Northern Virginia.